At a glance
As a Top 10 U.S. bank and Fortune 500 company, this financial services leader operates around the globe offering banking, commercial banking, investing, stockbroker, and related services.
The company wants to untether itself from the mainframe and monolithic databases and migrate to a modern microservices-oriented, cloud native architecture to better serve its customers and simplify delivery of new services.
The company selected YugabyteDB as a key strategic data platform because it combines essential RDBMS features for instant productivity and high availability with a modern architecture that runs on any infrastructure.
Multinational financial services leader delivers business-critical banking and investing services around the world
As a Fortune 500 company, this financial services leader is a Top 10 bank in the United States. They operate as a multinational company with services available around the world. Their core offerings include extensive banking offerings and they operate as a major stockbroker with their own electronic trading platform. Providing reliable and rapid access to data is critical to their business.
While existing mainframe solutions have served them well, they are focused on major digital transformation initiatives aimed to reduce their operational costs and deliver enhanced agility as they expand their services with new applications and capabilities. A second priority is to consolidate the numerous database technologies to simplify their environment. The company is embracing the benefits of Distributed SQL to help them meet these demands.
- Slow Innovation: Operational complexities limited responsiveness and ability to keep up with developer needs
- Performance Bottlenecks: Legacy software and systems were pushed to their limits and couldn’t match modern app demands
- Expensive Replication: High availability required complex replication technology while failing to deliver consistent data across data centers
- Limited Cloud Support: Legacy DB2 on mainframes offered little to no path to leverage public cloud
Key Database Requirements
This banking leader chose a modern, distributed SQL solution for their data layer because it uniquely addressed key database requirements:
- High performance to support increasing set of services
- Strong data consistency with ACID compliance
- Distributed architecture for low latency reads/writes anywhere
- Advanced security capabilities to protect user data
- High availability and resiliency for business-critical applications
- Cloud and platform agnostic to provide freedom of cloud choice
10x increase in performance by decreasing latency from 80ms to 10ms
Cloud and platform agnostic architecture that is 100% open enabled multi-cloud freedom
Ensure resilient, always-on services with native replication that can survive any single failure
There are no other existing database platforms that are active/active, can provide low latency, and lower our operational costs than we saw with YugabyteDB.