YUGABYTE PRIVACY NOTICE
Last Updated: Dec 9, 2021
Prior versions of this Privacy Notice are available here.
This Privacy Notice explains how we collect, use, disclose, and otherwise process personal information in connection with our services. This Privacy Notice is not a contract and does not create any legal rights or obligations.
Who We Are: Yugabyte is the company behind the open source YugabyteDB, a high-performance distributed SQL database for global, internet-scale applications. Yugabyte is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California, with operations in many other locations around the world. When we use the terms “Yugabyte”, “we”, “us” or “our” in this Privacy Notice, we are referring to YugaByte, Inc.
Our Services: When we use the term “services”, we are referring to all the services we offer on our own behalf, including YugabyteDB Managed and the websites that post or link to this Notice. This Privacy Notice does not cover or address:
- personal information collected, used, disclosed or otherwise processed by our customers who may use Yugabyte services to process personal information
- personal information and privacy practices of third-party websites and online services
- personal information and privacy practices relating to job applicants, employees and other personnel.
What is Personal Information?
When we use the term “personal information” in this Privacy Notice, we mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to you. It does not include aggregated or deidentified information that is maintained in a form that is not reasonably capable of being associated with or linked to you.
Data protection laws sometimes differentiate between “controllers” and “processors” of personal information. A “controller” determines the purposes and means (or the why and the how) of processing personal information. A “processor”, which is sometimes referred to as a “service provider,” processes personal information on behalf of a controller subject to contractual restrictions.
Our customers rely on our services to help them manage and process large amounts of data, which may include personal information, spanning across geographic regions. We refer to this type of data and personal information as “Customer Data.” When we process Customer Data, we generally act as a processor. This means we process Customer Data on behalf of our customers subject to restrictions set forth in our contracts with them.
This Privacy Notice does not cover or address how we or our customers process Customer Data. In addition, we are generally not permitted to respond to individual data subject requests relating to Customer Data. As a result, we recommend referring to the privacy notice of the customer with which you have a relationship for information on how they engage processors, like us, to process Customer Data on their behalf.
Our Collection of Personal Information
From the first moment you interact with us, we are collecting personal information about you. Sometimes we collect personal information automatically when you interact with our services and sometimes we collect the personal information directly from you. At times, we may collect personal information about you from other sources and third parties, even before our first direct interaction.
Personal Information You Provide
We collect the following personal information you provide in connection with our services:
- Contact Information, including your full name, email address, phone number and state and country of residence
- Professional Information, including your title, company name, professional background and the nature of your relationship with us
- Service Information, including product or service interests and orders
- Inquiry Information, such as the content of your email, text or chat with us and, where applicable, your voice from calls with us
Personal Information Automatically Collected
We collect the following personal information automatically when you visit our online services:
- Log File Data, including your internet protocol (IP) address, operating system, browser type, browser id, date/time of visit, and pages visited
- Analytics Data, including the electronic path you take to our services, through our services and when exiting our services, as well as your usage and activity on our services, such as the links and object you view, click or otherwise interact with (also known as “Clickstream Data”)
- Location Data, including your general geographic location based on your IP address or more precise location when accessing our online services through a mobile device
Personal Information from Other Sources and Third Parties
We also obtain personal information from other sources, which we often combine with personal information we collect either automatically or directly from you.
We receive the same categories of personal information as described above from the following sources and third parties:
- Employers: We may obtain personal information about you from your employer. For example, we may obtain your contact information from your employer to allow us to communicate with you about your employer’s customer relationship with us.
- Information Providers: We may from time to time obtain information from third-party information providers to correct or supplement other personal information we collect. For example, we may obtain updated contact information from third-party information providers to reconnect you.
- Publicly Available Information: We may also collect personal information from publicly available sources, such as government records or publicly available websites, to supplement other personal information we collect.
Our Use of Personal Information
We use personal information we collect to:
- Communicate with Customers: We use personal information like contact information, professional information and inquiry information to communicate with customers about our services, including to inform customers about new features, solicit feedback, respond to inquiries or just keep customers up to date with what’s going on with Yugabyte and our products. Some of these communications may include marketing materials. Customers may ask us not to send marketing communications by following any available opt-out instructions in the marketing communications they receive or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note we may continue to send users non-marketing communications even after they opt out.
- Provide Customers with Services: We use personal information like contact information and professional information to provide customers with our services. For example, we may use contact information and professional information to provide support while our customers initially onboard our services.
- Otherwise Operate Our Business: We use personal information like contact information, professional information, service information, inquiry information, log file data, analytics data and location data to otherwise operate our business, including to:
- Identify and communicate with customers who may be interested in our services;
- Optimize customer experience with our services
- Remember customers and the choices they have made in relation to our services
- Connect with customers about requests and transactions they make on our services and other online services
- Diagnose errors and problems with existing service
- Develop and test new services
- Conduct research and analytics on service usage and activity trends
- Deliver marketing communications and advertisements based on customer representative interests and interactions with us
- Exercise or Comply with Legal Obligations and Rights: We use personal information to exercise or comply with legal obligations and rights.
If you choose to contact us, we may need additional information to fulfill your request or respond to your inquiry. We may provide additional privacy disclosures where the scope of the inquiry/request and/or personal information we require fall outside the scope of this Privacy Notice. In that case, the additional privacy disclosures will govern how we may process the information you provide at that time.
Our Disclosure of Personal Information
We disclose personal information in the following ways:
- Within Yugabyte:Yugabyte entities disclose personal information to other Yugabyte entities for purposes and uses that are consistent with this Privacy Notice. For example, we may disclose your contact information to process and fulfill your order or to facilitate communication between you and a local Yugabyte representative.
- Data Analytics Providers: We share information with data analytics providers who analyze statistics and trends relating to the usage of and activity relating to our services. These data analytics providers produce reports and make suggestions for our customer and business strategy based on the personal information and other information analyzed.
- Marketing Partners: We coordinate and share personal information with our marketing partners, including advertisement networks, social networks, re-targeting partners and marketing communication providers, in order to communicate with you about our products and services and market our products and services to you.
- Other Service Providers: In addition to the third parties identified above, we engage other third parties to perform certain functions on our behalf in connection with the uses of personal information described in the Our Use of Personal Information section above. Depending on the function the third party serves, the service provider may process personal information on our behalf or have access to personal information while performing functions on our behalf.
- Business Transaction or Reorganization:We may take part in or be involved with a corporate business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, or financing or sale of company assets. We may disclose personal information to a third party during negotiation of, in connection with or as an asset in such a corporate business transaction. Personal information may also be disclosed in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
- Legal Obligations and Rights: We may disclose personal information to third parties, such as legal advisors and law enforcement:
- in connection with the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims
- to comply with laws or to respond to lawful requests and legal process
- to detect, suppress, or prevent fraud
- to reduce credit risk and collect debts owed to us
- to protect the health and safety of us, our customers, or any person
- as otherwise required by applicable law
- Consent: We may disclose personal information about you to certain other third parties with your consent.
Children’s Personal Information
Our websites and online services are not directed to, and we do not intend to, or knowingly, collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, please do not use our websites or online services or otherwise provide us with any personal information either directly or by other means. If a child under the age of 13 has provided personal information to us, we encourage the child’s parent or guardian to contact us to request that we remove the personal information from our systems. If we learn that any personal information we collect has been provided by a child under the age of 13, we will promptly delete that personal information.
Our websites and online services may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Except where we post, link to or expressly adopt or refer to this Privacy Notice, this Privacy Notice does not apply to, and we are not responsible for, any personal information practices of third-party websites and online services or the practices of other third parties. To learn about the personal information practices of third parties, please visit their respective privacy notices.
We may choose or be required by law to provide different or additional disclosures relating to the processing of personal information about residents of certain countries, regions or states. Please refer below for disclosures that may be applicable to you:
- If you are a resident of the State of California in the United States, please click here for additional California-specific privacy disclosures.
- If you are a resident of the State of Nevada in the United States, Chapter 603A of the Nevada Revised Statutes permits a Nevada resident to opt out of future sales of certain covered information that a website operator has collected or will collect about the resident. To submit such a request, please click here.
- If you are based in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or the United Kingdom, please click here for additional EEA-specific privacy disclosures.
Updates to This Privacy Notice
We will update this Privacy Notice from time to time. When we make changes to this Privacy Notice, we will change the “Last Updated” date at the beginning of this Privacy Notice. If we make material changes to this Privacy Notice, we will notify you by email to your registered email address, by prominent posting on this website or our online services, or through other appropriate communication channels. All changes shall be effective from the date of publication unless otherwise provided.
If you have any questions or requests in connection with this Privacy Notice or other privacy-related matters, please send an email to email@example.com. Alternatively, inquiries may be addressed to: YugaByte, Inc., Attn: General Counsel, 100 S. Murphy Avenue, Suite 200, Sunnyvale, CA 94086.