Five Benefits to Running a Distributed SQL Database in Kubernetes
A distributed SQL database is a single logical relational database deployed on a cluster of servers. The database automatically replicates and distributes data across multiple servers. These databases are strongly consistent and support consistency across availability and geographic zones in the cloud.
At a minimum, a distributed SQL database has the following characteristics:
- A SQL API for accessing and manipulating data and objects
- Automatic distribution of data across nodes in a cluster
- Automatic replication of data in a strongly consistent manner
- Support for distributed query execution so clients do not need to know about the underlying distribution of data
- Support for distributed ACID transactions
But should you run a distributed SQL database in Kubernetes?