Five Reasons to Choose YugabyteDB Managed REST APIs
Companies across multiple industries are digitally transforming, and APIs, as the building blocks of applications, enable these transformations. They provide a definite way for diverse applications to communicate with each other so that operations can be automated. For example, you can save time by automating the deployment and management of your database using the YugabyteDB Managed REST APIs. By using these APIs, you eliminate the manual steps used to deploy databases and reduce the time needed to bring up applications from several hours to minutes.
We’ve refreshed YugabyteDB Managed REST APIs with the focus on reducing the time it takes for customers to get started, discover API capabilities, and simplify building applications. In this blog, we will dive into the updates, show why using YugabyteDB Managed APIs provides a seamless experience, improves productivity, and makes it easy for developers to get more done.
This YugabyteDB Managed REST API allows you to deploy and manage your database clusters programmatically. Some examples of what you can accomplish using this API include:
- Deploy and manage clusters
- Pause and resume clusters automatically, based on a schedule or external events
- Run on-demand backups and restores
- Change backup and maintenance schedules
- Configure monitoring and alerts
There are two important identifiers that you need to be aware of before making your first API request.
1) Account ID. Your account ID is the unique identifier for your customer account in YugabyteDB Managed. You can access the account ID from your profile in the user interface. Your account ID is displayed in the menu and copied easily.
2) Project ID. Your project ID is the unique identifier for the YugabyteDB Managed project under which the database cluster can be deployed. You can access your project ID from your profile in the user interface
We have well-structured documentation that allows developers to learn more about API capabilities, input/output parameters, and integration. API documentation provides developers with an option to run commands without having to go to other tools (like Postman). Additionally the YugabyteDB Managed API PostMan collection allows developers to explore the APIs and try out some sample workflows to deploy a cluster, add IP allow lists, scale a cluster, and more.
We’ve strived to reduce friction to adopt APIs. We’ve reduced complexity for API developers by focusing on the following principles:
- Consistency. To create a consistent APIs experience for developers, we have standardized API endpoints
- Versioning. We support API backwards compatibility. APIs are deprecated to avoid breaking existing client integrations. When APIs are marked as deprecated we communicate the changes and provide you with alternate APIs. API clients are provided 90 days to switch to alternate APIs.
- Fault Tolerant. We built APIs to be resilient to failures. APIs continues to serve requests in face of challenges
- Scalable. We built APIs to deal with growth.
- Security. APIs can be a source of security breaches. To prevent unauthorized access, we have introduced API keys for authorization. We undertook extensive security design and testing and performed threat modeling when developing the APIs. Moreover, we have auditing in place, to provide you with a secure API experience.
Things can go wrong when building software. We’ve made it easy to debug API issues. We use standard HTTP codes to reflect a successful or unsuccessful request. In addition to the error code, we provide error details to make it easy to debug problems.
There are situations when users will come across a problem they can’t resolve on their own. You can join our Slack community or reach out to [email protected] for help.Examples of YugabyteDB Managed APIs in use
We make use of the YugabyteDB Managed APIs internally—during the QA cycle and while developing new capabilities. One new feature is the Terraform provider for YugabyteDB Managed which, under the hood, uses an automatically generated REST API client for YugabyteDB Managed. This makes transforming Terraform commands to REST API calls a breeze.
YugabyteDB Managed APIs are kept simple, resourceful, secure, scalable and maintainable. We have focused on providing seamless developer experience, increasing developer efficiency, and making it easy to build applications. To discover more about YugabyteDB Managed and sign-up for free, check out our dedicated landing page.