YugabyteDB Engineering Update – Jan 8, 2020
We are pleased to announce that YugabyteDB 2.0.9 launched over the holidays and YugabyteDB 2.0.10 is now live! You can read the official release notes of this and previous versions here. These two releases shipped with a combined 36 new enhancements and fixes.
What’s YugabyteDB? It is an open source, high-performance distributed SQL database built on a scalable and fault-tolerant design inspired by Google Spanner. Yugabyte’s SQL API (YSQL) is PostgreSQL wire compatible.
- Fixed an issue with PgDocOp lifespan sometimes being too short.
- “UPDATE” fails if any “NOT NULL” columns aren’t updated #3174
- Force network library initialization on postmaster startup on macOS. 2509
- Push down LIMIT clause for INDEX_ONLY_SCAN. #3128
- Drop DB persist, delete sys tables. #2997
- Correctly report unsupported features in plpgsql grammar. #2005
- Enable DISCARD statement in grammar. #2491
- Update only the assigned columns in UPDATE statement. #3106
- Move YBCPgSession and PgTxnManager into PgApiImpl. #3053
- Deprecate num_tablets in CreateTableRequestPB
- Support CREATE colocated db/table . #3033
- Table stuck in the keyspace after deletion #3032
- Support conditional DMLs in transaction statement block. #166
- Compatibility Issue – Not processing older format of protobuf message when picking index. #3175
- Implement one way bitmap and Extract CleanupTransaction from YBTransaction. #3220
- Improved rocksdb corruption error logging. #2961
- Added TCMalloc stats when dumping memory usage. #3190
- Enable CXX11 ABI. #3116
- Limited transactional DDL: each DDL statement in its own transaction. #3108
- Improved TcpStream::sending_ queue memory tracking. #3041
- Per service gauge counter for number of enqueued rpcs. #2389
- Handle GetChanges(MinimumOpID) as a Request for the First Log Entry. #3036
- Fixed vmodule logging configuration. #3176
- Log over-replicated tablets in load balancer. #3173
- Fix for stuck Inbound RPC connections due to hitting memory limit. #2562
- Retry transaction status table creation if it fails. #3182
- Add ability to set transaction priority range using SQL. #3024
- Delete provisional records RocksDB SSTable files. #2186
- Fix infinitely updating state causing React to fail. Reason is calling setState repeatedly in componentDidUpdate will create an infinite depth nested state update.
- Change Intro dialog to only appear on login. Add checkbox in Intro dialog for permanently hiding modal. #3138
- Fix console errors in UI code #2790
- Fix backup Universe from changing to undefined url
- [Platform] Task history not reflecting when a encryption is enabled/disabled/rotated #2929
- Add per node metrics for health. #2894
- Implement RBAC in Yugaware. #2793
- Add chrony configuration while provision step. #3038
New Documentation, Blogs, Tutorials, and Videos
- An Introduction to PostgreSQL Table Functions in YugabteDB – Part 1
- Implementing PostgreSQL User-Defined Table Functions in YugabyteDB – Part 2
- Four Compelling Use Cases for PostgreSQL Table Functions – Part 3
- Announcing the Kafka Connect YugabyteDB Sink Connector
- Getting Started with DbSchema on a Distributed SQL Database
- YugabyteDb Operational Best Practices
- Getting Started with Local Installs, Sample Databases and Tools
- Getting Started with PostgreSQL’s Authentication and Authorization
- Getting Started with PostgreSQL’s Row-Level Security
- Designing a Change Data Capture and Two Data Center Architecture for a Distributed SQL Database
- Distributed Databases Deconstructed: CockroachDB, TiDB and YugabyteDB
- We have uploaded over a dozen videos from this year’s Distributed SQL Summit. You can links to the presentations, slides and a recap of the highlights by checking out, “2019 Distributed SQL Summit Recap and Highlights.”
New and Updated Docs
- Backup and Restore
- Restore Data
- YugabyteDB JDBC Driver
- Spring Data for YugabyteDB
- Kafka Connect YugabyteDB
Upcoming Meetups and Conferences
- Feb 20: Silicon Valley PostgreSQL Meetup
Distributed SQL Webinars
We are Hiring!
YugaByte is growing fast and we’d like you to help us keep the momentum going! Check out our currently open positions:
- Software Engineer – Cloud Infrastructure – Sunnyvale, CA
- Software Engineer – Core Database – Sunnyvale, CA
- Software Engineer – Full Stack – Sunnyvale, CA
- Developer Advocate – Sunnyvale, CA
- Senior Technical Writer – Remote
Our team consists of domain experts from leading software companies such as Facebook, Oracle, Nutanix, Google and LinkedIn. We have come a long way in a short time but we cannot rest on our past accomplishments. We need your ideas and skills to make us better at every function that is necessary to create the next great software company. All while having tons of fun and blazing new trails!
Ready to start exploring YugabyteDB features? Getting up and running locally on your laptop is fast. Visit our quickstart page to get started.
- Compare YugabyteDB in depth to databases like CockroachDB, Google Cloud Spanner and MongoDB.
- Get started with YugabyteDB on macOS, Linux, Docker, and Kubernetes.
- Contact us to learn more about licensing, pricing or to schedule a technical overview.