YugabyteDB Engineering Update – May 6, 2020
YugabyteDB Release Updates
We are excited to announce that YugabyteDB 2.1.5 is GA! The 2.1.5 release shipped with over 40 new enhancements and fixes. Also, yesterday we hit a milestone that we are very proud of–we welcomed our 1000th member to the YugabyteDB community Slack channel! Congrats to Rob Sami for being the 1000th member, and thank you to the entire YugabyteDB community for your contributions and support along the way. 🙏🙌🔥
What’s YugabyteDB? It is an open source, high-performance distributed SQL database built on a scalable and fault-tolerant design inspired by Google Spanner. YugabyteDB’s SQL API (YSQL) is PostgreSQL wire compatible.
Here are a few highlights from the release notes.
Core Database – New Features and Fixes
- We made improvements to tablet splitting including support for transaction-enabled tables and the addition of a WAL index flush before copying the WAL during table splitting. (#4169)
- In the area of colocated tables functionality, we’ve added an optimization that pushes index lookups down to DocDB (#3609), range keys are now used by default for tables and indexes (#3034), plus we now avoid unnecessary RPC requests when issuing DROP and TRUNCATE statements. (#3387)
- Enhancements were made to snapshot backups so that a table’s indexes are now backed up as well. (#3836)
- TLS encryption support was added to yb-ts-cli (adds –certs_dir_name flag) for sending secure RPC requests to servers. (#2877)
- The yugabyte-client package now includes a share folder containing .sql files for creating sample databases. (#4264)
YSQL API – New Features and Fixes
- The CREATE TABLE statement now supports the SPLIT AT VALUES clause, which is currently in Beta. (#1486) For range-partitioned tables, you can use the SPLIT AT VALUES clause to set split points to pre-split range-sharded tables. For example:
CREATE TABLE tbl( a int, b int, primary key(a asc, b desc) ) SPLIT AT VALUES((100), (200), (200, 5));
- We now perform a read restart for an EXECUTE statement if the prepared statement is a SELECT. (#4205)
- Two updates to the DROP INDEX statement were made including the ignoring of index backfill and DocDB NotFound errors when it doesn’t have table metadata, but PostgreSQL does. (#4249)
- We now force single row UPDATE prepare statements to use a custom plan that requires boundParams to be sent for creation and execution. (#4219)
- We improved the performance of multi-column primary keys by generating scanspec for range partitioned tables using condition expression. (#4033)
You can check out all 40+ closed issues on GitHub.
New Blogs, Tutorials, and Videos
- Bringing Truth to Competitive Benchmark Claims–YugabyteDB vs CockroachDB, Part 1
- Bringing Truth to Competitive Benchmark Claims–YugabyteDB vs CockroachDB, Part 2
- Why We Built YugabyteDB by Reusing the PostgreSQL Query Layer
- Spanning the Globe without Google Spanner
- Bringing Distributed SQL to VMware Tanzu
- Developing Cloud Native Spring Microservices with Distributed SQL, Cluster-Aware JDBC Drivers, R2DBC, and Istio
- An Introduction to GraphQL with Distributed SQL
- Install YugabyteDB on macOS using Docker and yugabyted
- Webinar | YugabyteDB: a distributed PostgreSQL database, May 12, 2020 at 10 am PT [17:00 UTC]
- Webinar | Evaluating CockroachDB vs YugabyteDB: Benchmarks, Architecture, Sharding Strategies & Licensing, May 20, 2020 at 11 am PT [18:00 UTC]
- Open Source Summit North America Virtual Experience, June 29-July 2, 2020
We Are Hiring!
Yugabyte is growing fast and we’d like you to help us keep the momentum going! Although we are based in Silicon Valley, we hire exceptional folks wherever they are. Check out our currently open positions:
- Senior Product Manager, Platform & Cloud
- Director, Product Marketing
- Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
- Community Success Engineer
- Senior Curriculum Developer
- Software Engineer – Cloud Infrastructure
- Software Engineer – Core Database
- Software Engineer – Full Stack
- Solutions Engineer
- Developer Advocate
- Lead Development Representative
Our team consists of domain experts from leading software companies such as Facebook, Oracle, Nutanix, Google, and LinkedIn. We have come a long way in a short time but we cannot rest on our past accomplishments. We need your ideas and skills to make us better at every function that is necessary to create the next great software company. All while having tons of fun and blazing new trails!
Ready to start exploring YugabyteDB features? Getting up and running locally on your laptop is fast. Visit our quickstart page to get started.