YugabyteDB Engineering Update – Oct 30, 2019
We are pleased to announce that YugabyteDB 2.0.3 is live! You can read the release notes of this and previous versions here. This release is shipping with 50 new enhancements and bug fixes.
What’s YugabyteDB? It is an open source, high-performance distributed SQL database built on a scalable and fault-tolerant design inspired by Google Spanner. YugabyteDB’s SQL API (YSQL) and drivers are PostgreSQL wire compatible
[#1845] YSQL: Support for TLS Server to Server Encryption
TLS encryption is now supported between yb-master and yb-tserver processes. To enable this new functionality you’ll want to start your master process with the following:
bin/yb-master \ --fs_data_dirs= \ --master_addresses= \ --certs_dir=/home/centos/tls/$NODE_IP \ --allow_insecure_connections=false \ --use_node_to_node_encryption=true
And the tserver process as such:
bin/yb-tserver \ --fs_data_dirs= \ --tserver_master_addrs= \ --certs_dir /home/centos/tls/$NODE_IP \ --use_node_to_node_encryption=true &
For more information on this feature, check out the TLS encryption documentation.
New Documentation, Blogs, Tutorials, and Videos
- The Benefit of Partial Indexes in Distributed SQL Databases
- How YugabyteDB Scales to More than 1 Million Inserts Per Sec
- Working with PostgreSQL Data Types in YugabyteDB
- YugabyteDB Community Engineering Update, Tricks and Tips – Oct 18, 2019
- 9 Techniques to Build Cloud-Native, Geo-Distributed SQL Apps with Low Latency
- How to: PostgreSQL Fuzzy String Matching In YugabyteDB
We have uploaded over a dozen videos from this year’s Distributed SQL Summit. You can links to the presentations, slides and a recap of the highlights by checking out, “2019 Distributed SQL Summit Recap and Highlights.”
Upcoming Meetups and Conferences
- Nov 13: Montreal PostgreSQL Meetup
- Nov 14: NYC PostgreSQL Meetup
Distributed SQL Webinars
- 10/30: Distributed Databases Deconstructed: CockroachDB, TiDB and YugabyteDB
- 11/6: Developing Cloud-Native Spring Microservices with a Distributed SQL Backend
- Nov 18-21: San Diego
Dec 2-6: Las Vegas
Ready to start exploring YugabyteDB features? Getting up and running locally on your laptop is fast. Visit our quickstart page to get started.
- Compare YugabyteDB in depth to databases like CockroachDB, Google Cloud Spanner and MongoDB.
- Get started with YugabyteDB on macOS, Linux, Docker, and Kubernetes.
- Contact us to learn more about licensing, pricing or to schedule a technical overview.